Thursday, June 20, 2013

Benefit for Gracelyn

This is my niece, Gracelyn:
Photo credit is not mine.
Gracelyn is ten years old and she love to read.  She is a beautiful young woman with a contagious smile.  Gracelyn has cystic fibrosis.  When I first met her, she was six years old and like most children of that age she was excited to share her daily life with me.  She asked me to come sit with her as she used her vest.  I was amazed at how happy she seemed wearing the vest, using her nebulizer, and watching SpongeBob.  I couldn't even hear the show but she was excited to explain to me what was going on.  She has a really positive attitude.
The time has come and Gracelyn needs a lung transplant.  This means that she will need to be within two hours of the Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.  Her parents, her sister and brother, and she will be making the move down at the end of this month.  This is the time when they need our support.
This Sunday there will be a benefit lunch for Gracelyn at Marino's in Fridley, MN.  There you can enjoy good food, good company, and a craft fair and silent auction to help support her family.  I made a crib quilt for the occasion, so head over there and make a bid.
If you are not able to make it to Minnesota (I know it is a long haul for a lot of us) you can also add your support through GoFundMe or you can give at any Wells Fargo under the name Gracelyn VanGorden Fund.
If you want to read more about Gracelyn or watch the spot on local news that was recently aired about her situation, here are a few links.
Fox9
MNSun

Please keep Gracelyn and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment